- Use the leftover paint on another project.
- Donate it to a local organization or neighbor.
- Make sure excess paint from brushes, rollers and other tools goes back into the paint can.
- Clean paint brushes and other tools in your sink.
- Cover the can with plastic wrap to create an additional seal before closing the lid.
Dispose of paint properly
If you can't reuse or keep leftover paint, you need to discard it safely. Follow these steps to solidify paint for proper disposal:
- Remove lids and leave cans in a well-ventilated area, away from children and pets.
- To speed up the process, stir in an absorbent material (kitty litter, sawdust, shredded newspaper). It can take 2-5 days to dry.
- Place cans with regular trash. Leave lids off so waste collectors can see contents are completely dry and therefore acceptable.
Protect the environment
Never dump leftover or unwanted paint on the ground or into storm drains. Paint can pollute our groundwater and harm fish and other wildlife.
For more information visit www.sd1.org