Building & Zoning

Building Permits

Building and Zoning Permits are handled through Planning and Development Services of Kenton County. For questions regarding these matters please contact their office at (859) 331-8980.

Their address is 1840 Simon Kenton Way, Suite 3400, Covington, KY 41011.

PDS Website

Building, Zoning and Electrical Permit Application

Board of Adjustment Application

Code Enforcement Process


Contractors doing repairs and renovations on homes often ask the homeowner for permission to put a small advertisement sign in the yard. This is permitted, as follows:

Fort Wright Zoning Ordinance 14.2-A-4 - Temporary Signs which states "Signs, not over twenty (20) square feet in outside area, single or double faced, maximum height of eight (8) feet, denoting the person/firm, architect, engineer, or contractor, when placed upon the premises where construction work is being performed.  Said sign shall be removed by owner or agent within ten (10) consecutive calendar days after completion of project or that person/firm's part of the project."

For all other signs for businesses whether temporary or permanent - the applicant must apply for a permit BEFORE erecting the sign. This can be done by visiting Planning and Development Services of Kenton County (PDS) at 1840 Simon Kenton Way, Suite 3400, Covington, KY 41011; by telephone at (859) 331-8980; or by visiting the PDS Website.

Garage Sale Signs

No signs shall be posted anywhere except on the property where the garage or yard sale occurs, and only 1 sign is permitted. Signs are not permitted on telephone or other utility poles, on street corners, or in public rights-of-way of any street in the city. Garage sales require a permit from the City and no residence can have more than two per calendar year.

Chapter 115 Section 115.04 Garage Sale Signs

Garage Sale Permit Application

Zoning Ordinances

City of Fort Wright Zoning Ordinances

City Map

Interactive Mapping

To use Interactive Mapping - Click on Public Access - Fort Wright is the area in light pink. You may also locate your property by Clicking on Locate Parcel on the right - fill in the address, then click submit. The address information appears in the small box, click on that and it will change the map to the area around your property. A yellow outline will be around the property.

City Digital Sign

For local businesses, schools and other City non-profit organizations wanting to advertise an event on the City's Digital Sign, please download and complete a Digital Sign Application Form. Please be sure to follow the guidelines on the form before submitting your request. All parts of the form must be filled out for the request to be considered.

Forms may be submitted in person, by email, by fax or by email to:

City of Fort Wright
409 Kyles Lane
Fort Wright, Kentucky 41011

Fax Number: 859-331-0454

Email: [email protected]