Fort Wright Trash and Recycling
Neighborhood Pickup Schedule
Old Fort Wright, South Hills Neighborhoods - Tuesdays
Includes the following streets, this is not a complete list: Basswood, East & West Crittenden, Cumberland, Edna, Emery, Fayette, East & West Henry Clay, Kennedy, Kentucky, Kyles Lane from Dixie to and including Old Highland-1400-1600 blocks, Lorup, Marcella, Olivia, Rosa, Ridgemont, St. Anthony, Upland, Werner.
Lookout Heights Neighborhoods - Thursdays
Includes the following streets, this is not a complete list: Amsterdam, Barrington, Birchwood, Dixie Highway, Don Martin, Fort Henry, General, Glazier, Hazelwood, Lookout Heights, Morris, Park, Pickett, Redwood, St. Agnes, Vidot.
Monticello Heights & KY 17 Neighborhoods - Fridays
Includes the following streets, this is not a complete list: Ashlawn, Beacon Hill, Beaumont, Castle Hill, Cloverfield, Electric, Farrell, Fincastle, KY 17 & Old KY 17, Lakeview, Monticello, Montpelier, Mt. Vernon, Old Kyles, Parkside, Stonewell Trails, Valley, Williams Creek.
Pinehurst - Edgewood Schedule, Tuesdays & Saturdays
For a missed pickup, you can contact Rumpke directly by calling 859-472-7339 and selecting their residential line.
Rumpke observes Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Service will be delayed one day the week of each holiday. To view the schedule for other holidays, please click the link below.
Rumpke Holiday Schedule
Sign up for service alerts and holiday reminders. Send an email to [email protected] and opt into Rumpke email communications. You can also follow Rumpke on social media:
Households can place up to six 32-gallon cans or bags at the curb for collection each week. Cans/bags should not exceed 50 pounds. Please do not place trash at the curb in boxes. All boxes should be broken down and bundled. Rumpke is not responsible for damaged or missing plastic cans or lids.
According to federal law, Rumpke is not permitted to accept batteries, tires, liquids, combustible materials or any items identified as hazardous. Bulky materials including drywall, concrete, bricks, dirt, or rocks are not acceptable.
Drums, barrels, yard and household containers are not acceptable trash containers and will be assumed trash if placed at the curb.
Rumpke is not responsible for damage beyond the curb line.
Please contact Rumpke at 859-472-7339 at least 48 hours in advance to schedule collection of large items or excessive amounts of trash for review of preparation guidelines (furniture, appliances, etc.) on regular service day. Mattresses, box springs, and upholstered furniture must be wrapped and sealed in plastic. Freon must be properly removed. Additional fees may apply. See www.rumpke.com for details.
96 Gallon Rolling Trash and Recycling Cans
While residents are able to provide their own trash cans, Rumpke also offers a lease option for 96-gallon trash cans and free recycling cans on wheels. Advantages include:
- Capacity of three times a traditional garbage can
- Wheels for easy mobility
- Lid to keep garbage in and animals out
- Sturdy plastic to withstand nature's elements
Please contact Rumpke at 859-472-7339 for more information or to set up a lease.
Recycling - Acceptable Items for Recycling
Rumpke Recycling offers residential customers a convenient, comprehensive recycling program to enhance the recycling effort and reduce the amount of material sent to the landfill.
While the full list of acceptable materials may vary slightly in some locations, residents can typically recycle the following:
- Glass Bottles & Jars (all colors)
- Metal Cans: Aluminum cans, steel cans and lids, empty aerosol cans with the lids and tips removed
- Plastic Bottles (empty, crush, reattach lid): Bottles and jugs that have a small mouth and wider base, such as milk jugs, soda bottles, laundry detergent bottles, water bottles, shampoo bottles and contact solution bottles
- Plastic Tubs: Containers for butter, sour cream cottage cheese, yogurt, Jello and fruit slices would fall into the tub category. Lids should be reattached prior to recycling
- Paper: newspaper, magazines, cardboard, mixed office paper and envelopes, paperboard (cereal boxes), pizza boxes free of food debris and grease, telephone books and catalogs
- Cartons: food and beverage cartons, such as milk, juice, soup, wine, broth and other cartons.
- Mix all items together – no separation required
- Empty all bottles, jugs and cans
- No need to remove labels
- For plastic bottles, empty, crush and reattach lids
- For cartons, remove plastic caps and straws
- NEVER place medical sharps or needles in the recycling
- DON’T use plastic bags
NOT for Recycling
Please keep these items out of the recycling cart. They can be dangerous to Rumpke employees, damage equipment and disrupt the recycling program.
- Plastic Bags
- Cassette & VHS Tapes
- Bed Sheets
- Metal Chains
- Garden Hoses
- Needles & Syringes
- Polystyrene Foam
- Car Parts
- Yard Waste
- Light Bulbs
- Drinking Glasses
- Pots & Pans
- Scrap Metal
Recycling: Beyond the Curb - What Happens Next?
Recyclables go to the Rumpke Recycling Material Recovery Facility (MRF) where they are sorted by type. Please visit the Rumpke Recycling Videos page to view videos of how the recylcing process works.