Fort Wright City Council unanimously adopted the following resolution condemning the actions of the individual(s) who spray painted “Hell is Real” on the home of a family who reside within city limits. As a community, we cannot tolerate such hateful and despicable behavior.
Fort Wright Police Department (FWPD) is investigating this deplorable crime. If you have any information regarding this incident, please contact Police Chief Ed Butler directly at 859-331-1700.
We are a community of Neighbors Helping Neighbors and hope you will report any information which may help the FWPD solve this criminal act.
The text of Resolution 08-2023 is below and also attached at the bottom as a PDF.
CITY OF FORT WRIGHT, KENTUCKY
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY OF FORT WRIGHT, IN KENTON COUNTY, KENTUCKY CONDEMNING HATEFUL BEHAVIOR AND SPEECH AND ENCOURAGING EVERYONE TO TREAT EACH OTHER WITH KINDNESS, DIGNITY AND RESPECT IN THE CITY OF FORT WRIGHT, KENUCKY.
WHEREAS, on or about September 18, 2023, a home in the City of Fort Wright, KY was defiled by criminals who spray painted despicable, abhorrent and hateful graffiti on the home with obvious intent to offend and intimidate the family living there; and
WHEREAS, such behavior is deplorable, loathsome, and criminal, and cannot and should not be tolerated in the City of Fort Wright or in our society as a whole; and
WHEREAS, the family targeted has suffered not only physical damage to their property but emotional distress because of this sick and obscene criminal behavior at their home; and
WHEREAS, the Mayor, City Council and Staff desire to express their outrage, disgust, and deep concern in response to this disturbing criminal act in our community; and
WHEREAS, the Fort Wright Police Department warns criminals that this type of behavior will not be tolerated and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law; and
WHEREAS, the elected officials of the City of Fort Wright and members of the Fort Wright Staff work to create a safe, inclusive, and welcoming community that is a beautiful and desirable place to live, work and play for individuals of all races, religions, genders and orientations.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, as follows:
- The City of Fort Wright is outraged, disgusted, and deeply concerned by this incident, and states unambiguously that no one should ever be subjected to intimidating speech and/or vandalism of their property.
- The City of Fort Wright expects and demands that every individual feel safe and comfortable in their home and every employee in their job regardless of their race, religion, gender, or orientation. There is simply no place in Fort Wright, Kentucky, or anywhere else in society for the type of repugnant and deplorable behavior that occurred here, and it will not be tolerated.
- The City of Fort Wright expects and demands that every individual is treated fairly and with dignity and respect regardless of their race, religion, gender, or orientation.
- The City of Fort Wright team (Mayor, Council and Staff) strives daily to ensure that every resident of, employee of, and visitor to, Fort Wright feels safe and welcome here and is treated fairly regardless of their race, religion, gender, or orientation.
- The City of Fort Wright states that it is deeply concerned and disappointed that this terrible incident occurred, and that this family has been threatened. Fort Wright has and will continue to work diligently to ensure that every individual feels safe and welcome here.
- The Fort Wright Police Department is taking this incident very seriously and is diligently taking all necessary steps to investigate this crime with the full intent of bringing the culprit(s) to justice and to resoundingly send a very loud and clear message that we do not and will not tolerate hateful criminal behavior and activities in Fort Wright.
- The City of Fort Wright promulgates that in this time of increasing strife and division in our country, we should all remember and live the wise words of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., “We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.”
- The City of Fort Wright implores everyone to treat each person with kindness, empathy, dignity and respect at all times and to embody our community’s long-time motto “Neighbors Helping Neighbors.”
This resolution shall have the full effect and force of the law upon passage according to the laws and ordinances of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and under my signature this 4th day of October 2023.
CITY OF FORT WRIGHT, KENTUCKY
David Hatter, Mayor
Maura Russell, City Clerk